Here we are at the end of another year. 2018 has been one of the longest, roughest, and strangest years I’ve faced so far.
Let’s take a look back:
- Started the year at camp.
- Went to Chicago for a conference.
- Went back to school after the break.
- Went on a mission trip to New Mexico over Spring Break.
- Finished the semester.
- Graduated from college.
- Went to Florida with my mom.
- Went to Hawaii with my grandmother and aunt and uncle.
- Came back from Hawaii early for a family emergency.
- Dealt with said family emergency for roughly a month.
- Went to Lexington.
- Created this site.
- Helped with reacclimating my granddad with being home.
- Hung out with friends for Labor Day.
- Went to Louisville.
- Celebrated Thanksgiving.
- Went to Hawaii for a second time, able to stay for the full time this time.
- Went Christmas shopping.
- Went to camp for a former staff weekend.
- Celebrated Christmas.
And that’s just the highlight reel.
There has been even more going on behind the scenes.
- Anxiety, especially over work.
- Dealing with the same sin over and over again.
- Trying to come up with a plan for what I need to be doing.
And since this is a Catholic site, I’d like to bring God into looking back on the year.
There are quite a few places where I can for sure tell you where God has worked. Here are some of them:
- The people I encountered in New Mexico. The people we worked with were some of the most welcoming I’ve ever encountered. And the kids we worked with showed me so much love. It was clear to me that God was in and with them.
- The family emergency. I don’t really want to give you guys more info than is necessary on this one. But I can tell you that during this time, God worked in our lives and through those in our lives.
- The sunset in Hawaii. I had been in a rough patch with my prayer life before going to Hawaii. But in this particular sunset in Hawaii (seen below), God broke through into my life. Through this sunset, He reminded me that He’s very much real and very much alive.
- The former staff weekend. Jesus reminded me that He’s very much present in my life, especially my prayer. He especially reminded me that He’s there with me as I pray.
- Christmas desk and sunset. This Christmas, God has provided encouragement and some beautiful reminders of His presence in my life.
With this being the last day of the year, I’d like to share with you some of the things I hope for in the new year:
- Getting closer to my career and living situation. I plan on going into freelance work after getting back from a conference. And I hope to move back to my college town within the somewhat near future. So this goal is to get me closer to that dream (if not getting there) by this time next year.
- Feeling better in my own skin. For most of my life, including now, I’ve had body image issues. And over the past few months, I’ve felt in the midst of a kind of confusion/chaos. So my goal with this is to (hopefully) get comfortable with my body and get some order in my mind as well.
- Be more than just a Sundays-only Catholic. I want to be more active in my faith. In college, I would go to daily Mass at least once a week. The Wednesday evening Mass was the primary one that I went to, and I would go to Tuesday and Thursday Masses as well sometimes. With this goal, I plan on at least going to one daily Mass each week. Maybe as the year goes on, I’ll add more to this.
With that, I wish you guys a very happy New Year and I’ll see you next year!
If you have anywhere you saw God in 2018 and would like to share it, please feel free! And if you have any goals for this next year that you’d like to share, please share those as well!